Friday 17 October 2014

Since I Suppose, Arts House, Chicago Shakespeare Theater, Thursday 16th October 2014

Since I Suppose, Arts House, Chicago Shakespeare Theater, one step at a time like this, Richard Jordon Productions Ltd and Melbourne Festival, Thursday 16th October 2014

For those new to my blog I write about the holistic experience of attending the theatre.

I tried to book these tickets while I was in Chicago in late July 2014 to no avail.  I was told to wait until I got home in order to do so as bookings were via Arts House and the time delay was an issue as I kept being put on hold.

I managed to book all of my other Melbourne Festival tickets whilst in Chicago.  It was not as easy as previous years as they did not have a dedicated international line like in previous years.  Maybe they fixed this up after I provided them with feedback.

I wrote to the Chicago Shakespeare Theater telling them how eager I was that they were coming to my home city. Being in Chicago at the time I had to go past their theatre at Navy Pier and savour the moment - knowing they would be coming to Melbourne.  They were showing the cut-down children's version of "Seussical: The Musical" playing at the time.  I had seen the full version and did not want to see the condensed version.

This Melbourne Festival brochure describes this production as "stolen tale from Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure"."

There are aspects to building excitement around a production with marketing and publicity.  I love the description in the brochure and the subsequent follow-up emails.  Not one, but at least two emails to ensure that you knew that the starting location is the Melbourne Grand Hyatt's Russell St entrance and the finishing location is in North Melbourne.  Another email outlined some important information about the event and offering a short synopsis of "Measure for Measure" and a link to print a programme in either PDF or Word format.

Wow am I impressed!

But there is more....

There was a follow up phone call by Lexia from Arts House on the morning of October 16th making sure that we had received the email and watched the video to prepare us for this exciting event.  What a build up.  No wonder this event is sold out.

"Since I Suppose" is presented by the Melbourne Festival , one step at a time like this, Arts House, Chicago Shakespeare Theater, and Richard Jordon Productions Ltd.  We attended the 6.20pm performance on Thursday 16th October 2014. Performances run every 25 minutes.

In fifty years of attending the theatre "Since I Suppose" is in my top ten theatrical experiences.  I was lucky enough to be able to tell some people at the end that I rated it as memorable as the original Peter Brook's "Conference of the Birds" at the old HSV Tele-theatre in Fitzroy in the early 1980s.

Sadly I cannot tell too much about what happens during "Since I Suppose"  as it would spoil it for others.  But I will be documenting my full experience for historical theatre records.

Upon arrival a the  Melbourne Grand Hyatt  we went up to a desk thinking it was to do with the show, when in fact it was a trio of woman from the Jehovah's Witness God's Kingdom conference celebrating 100 years (1914 -2014). 

How ironic that in the space of five minutes we had one of the greatest designers of fashion who highlights the sexuality of men and women, Jean Paul Gaultier and his entourage wander through.  They were on their way to the National Gallery of Victoria for the opening of an exhibition of his work -"The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From Sidewalk to Catwalk."  Soon to wander through the foyer was the androgynous model, Andre Pejic to model both in his men's and women's wear range has just had gender alignment surgery to become a woman and now as Andreja Pejic  These happenings are so relevant to the sexual themes of the show.  What a prologue.  You could not get any better.

In fact the political sexual scandal and events recorded in the Herald Sun and The Age are so relevant to the theme of the show.  Also, in the same edition, the cartoon on page 68 of the Herald Sun  (October 17th 2014) is so appropriate and makes the show such an ongoing experience.  You could not get a better epilogue to a show.

The initial phone call at 6.20pm in the foyer/lobby of the Grand Hyatt meant that this was the first show in the 28 year history of the Melbourne Festival to start on time.  (We have seen about ten events at every festival.)

We advise going to the toilet upstairs prior to waiting in the downstairs foyer.  Also take a small box of sultanas or nuts and maybe a bottle of water with you. Or maybe not if you want to experience potential hunger pangs.

We were welcomed by a voluptuous woman in red. She confirmed our name and "I asked if she were Isabella?" I loved her provocative answer to my question when welcomed "I can be what you want me to be." We were provided with a choice right up front!  Whew - where was this going?

We received our headsets and instructions for using a Moto G smartphone after our initial greeting.  These actors are fine improvisers and ready for any challenge within the boundaries of the theme. 
We are given a device to wear and also warned about crossing the roads and watching our step.  A great example of health and safety.  We were also provided with a help phone number in case of problems.  What if we opted out?  I chose not to ask this as I wanted to experience the event and only use this option via the help line if desperate to do so.  I will be interested to see if anyone does opt out during their session.

We finished at 9.10pm and were delayed due to some traffic delays.  This was about half an hour longer than anticipated and was the only major drawback.

Also we experienced indecisiveness at one venue due to the construction works.  It was roped off all around and we had to find our way.  yes, we could have called the help line but you have to use some common sense and be street wise.  These works were finished a few hours after our venture there.  So you have to be willing to take calculated risks and use common sense.  When in doubt call the help line.

There are ample opportunities to use toilets along the way. Being such a cold night meant the bladder weakened a little more than usual.  Maybe it was the anticipation, excitement or adrenalin.  I think it was all of the above.

You will encounter other people on your journey who will be intrigued with your earphones and your Moto G smartphone. We did look very conspicuous!

Some times you have to walk at a faster pace to keep up with your guide. There are times when for example a shop front has changed name and you have to do a double take to make sure that you are in the right location.

Taking some gold coins may be worth your while.  There may be opportunities to use such - if you choose.  I was engrossed by making a note about my reactions that I regret now I did not think to take the opportunity to spend some coins to record a part of our journey.

There is a list of guardians and performers in the programme.  There has to be minders or guardians looking out for your welfare on the journey to make sure that you do not get lost and are on track.  Some are more obvious than others as we struggle with different aspects of our journey.  At one stage I had gone one step ahead by accident.

My partner and myself use the one, two, three fingers to synchronise our pressing of the stop or play or pause buttons.  This was fun to watch other people's reaction to our obvious choreography.

"Since I Suppose"  is an event.  When attending the theatre I have  experienced many emotions of compassion, empathy, sadness, tragedy, love, joy and laughter.  I have never experienced the range of emotions that I felt during "Since I Suppose."   My boundaries were pushed at times and they could have gone further.  But then I did have the choice to go further if I wanted to. So yes I even experienced some post-show regret. The emotional connections and themes link into  "Measure for Measure" magnificently.

How does it feel to be a part of a sinister plot? How does it feel to not know what will happen?  You are physically guided at times.  Sometimes you are directed, coaxed, persuaded, seduced, tempted, bribed.  It is your choice.  Or is it?

Do not take any valuables with you as you stand out in the crowd.  Even though I safely finished the event does not mean you will. That is why the guardians are so important.

It is amazing as I write this as I want to share more with you but that would spoil the event. 

What would you accept from a stranger? 

Do not attend if you do not like to be challenged with claustrophobia or the fear of the unknown.  But the actors are obviously prepared for any issues as I can attest.  They know how to make you feel safer when you feel unsafe.  They do not patronise you and keep in character at all times.

I love the use of the cards and magic or slight of hand.  You get to keep some souvenirs and I suggest you keep them as they will be sought after by collectors in years to come.

I also got to experience some emotions of pay-back to one performer who challenged me.  By me asking for her identification or my threat to call 000 made her speechless.  It was as if we were not only observers but a part of the action.  After a pause, she quite rightly said that she could call security - she realising that I was playing with her emotions as she and the other actors were playing with our emotions.

I have to laugh about the waste of money on establishing the Myki system and the political dramas that ensued.  How do these link in?  Well in New York it costs less to buy a similar card and only $5 for a Ventura card in Chicago that you can keep.  Imagine having yours taken from you at $16 a pop.  Or are they taken from you?  Are you stranded?  What does it feel like?  Can a Myki card be worth so much? Is your life worth so much? MMMMMM Is this relevant?  Without giving too much away - it all relates to the politics of power.  Maybe our own power.  Are we powerless?  Do we have choices?

There are so many aspects of "Since I Suppose" to be relished.  I think I will always remember the holistic experience from trying to book my tickets in Chicago, to the emails, the build up and excitement, the waiting, the anticipation and the event itself.  Most of all  - are the memories and my notes to record so many happenings.

Our only quibble was getting back from North Melbourne at the end. We were very hungry and it was very late eating at about 9.30pm.   Otherwise park your car in the North Melbourne area before the show.  (MMMMM maybe a Myki card!  That is why a tourist card is so important.)

Congratulations to Suzanne Kerstan and one step at a time like this for sensationally orchestrating such a theatrical event.  It would have been more sinister doing the lone journey in Chicago and thankfully I got to experience it (most of the time) with my partner.

I cannot thank the actors, guardians, technicians and producers enough for creating such a memorable theatrical event. Namely, the Melbourne Festival , one step at a time like this, Arts House, Chicago Shakespeare Theater and Richard Jordon Productions Ltd.


Overall this production gets an 8.5/10.






No comments:

Post a Comment