Friday 14 October 2016

Triplets of Belleville, Le Terrible Orchestre De Belleville, Melbourne Recital Centre, Elizabeth Murdoch Hall, Friday October 14th 2016

Triplets of Belleville, Le Terrible Orchestre De Belleville,  Melbourne Recital Centre, Elizabeth Murdoch Hall, Friday October 14th 2016



"Triplets of Belleville", Le Terrible Orchestre De Belleville,  Melbourne Recital Centre, Elisabeth Murdoch Hall, as part of the Melbourne Festival on Friday October 14th 2016


For those new to my blog I write about the holistic experience of attending the theatre. I buy my own tickets. So if you want a re-telling of the story please refer to the links for further information or for further insights.  Note, that I may provide different links for repeated main words or phrases.  I write for my memories of what I have seen, and is more of a stream of consciousness.

The performance started within three minutes of scheduled time. That is fantastic as they are re-educating audiences to be on time.

"Triplets of Belleville" has a score by Benoit Charest who also conducted Le Terrible Orchestre De Belleville at this performance accompanying the film.  Benoit Charest was nominated for an Academy Award (Oscar) for the score and you can hear why with the fine nuances of instruments that resonate with various scenes and locations.

The orchestra play in an unconventional fashion that really brings the film to life.  My favourite parts were the solo newspaper shuffling and the tap dance stomping trio,  The other really fun part was the playing of the bicycle wheel and the shelves from the refrigerator.

The film is a very moving piece of animation with a lovely messages of hope, love and justice.  The animation combined with the cycling foreground was technically masterful.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable night of entertainment.  I will not be surprised if Jonathon Holloway incorporates two such film and live music scores in his future festivals.  This film and score accompanied the Philip Glass ""La Belle Et La Belle" so well.

There was a false start as the film and the score did not at first coordinate.  Benoit Charest, the conductor acknowledged this and started again.  The audience understood.  The orchestra played so well and received rapturous applause.

My partner gave this an 8.5/10 while I gave an 8/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment