Friday 12 July 2019

Solaris, Malthouse Theatre , Merlyn Theatre at The Coopers Malthouse, Saturday July 6th 2019

Solaris, Malthouse Theatre with The Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh and The Lyric Hammersmith, at The Merlyn, The Coopers Malthouse, Saturday July 6th 24th 2019

"Solaris" was presented as a co-production by The Malthouse Theatre with The Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh and The Lyric Hammersmith, London at The Merlyn, at the The Coopers Malthouse on Saturday July 6th 24th 2019.

For those new to my blog I write about the holistic experience of attending the theatre. I buy my own tickets. So if you want a re-telling of the story please refer to the links for further information or for further insights.  Note, that I may provide different links for repeated main words or phrases.  I write for my memories of what I have seen, and is more of a stream of consciousness.

"Solaris" was presented as a co-production by The Malthouse Theatre with The Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh and The Lyric Hammersmith, London at The Merlyn, at the The Coopers Malthouse on Saturday July 6th 24th 2019.

Imagine a psychologist turning up unannounced at a space station!  What happens after that is fabulous entertainment.

I have not read the book by Stanislaw Lem, nor seen any of the movies from 1972 or the 2002 version, or any documentaries about this story.  I found the show easier to understand than four reviews that I read in the Melbourne press.

Wow!  We both loved it and challenged with our idea of time and space and motion during the show. The lighting made us feel as if we were travelling in space too.

This production is timely and appropriate as it also honours and pays tribute to the July 1969 landing on the moon mission.

"Solaris" has been adapted into a play by David Greig and I felt the journey into space, the unknown and the drama of the events on board the space station.  I do not care if this play is true to the book or films. as it works as a piece of drama.

Directed by Matthew Lutton, he has used a device to change scenes that felt so much like a science fiction movie.  This similar device of a screen raising and lowering is reminiscent of the scene changes and tabs being pulled across.  Here it works by transporting us into different zones.  The ocean like projections swirled to the point of sweeping me along on a journey.  Sometimes, I felt as is I was wandering between the air locks in the space station.  At times I felt as if I was going along with the flow, then at other times I felt ill and wanted to resist.

(Note, the use of the screen with video was also used this week in the Melbourne Theatre Company production of "Storm Boy".  It was also overused in "Storm Boy" and became obsolete when a scene change occurred without the screen and projections.)  The use of the screen for scene changes was used appropriately in "Solaris".

Lighting Design by Paul Jackson is brilliant as it captured so many atmospheres.  (Excuse the pun!)  The overhead lighting was claustrophobic and stark for the space station.  I felt as if I was on board the space station and observing Solaris, the planet.  I felt the moods with the colour changes.  Eerily, the colour changes mid scene were enveloping that I felt I was not in a theatre observing, but with the crew on board observing.  It was one of the most immersive productions that I have seen in a long time.

The red and blue time were disorientating, and I was compelled to look at my watch at 8.35 pm, and 9.05 pm because I felt lost in time and space.   I had to bring myself back to the reality of being in The Merlyn Theatre.

Sound Design and Composition by Jethro Woodward was brilliant as I had to look around the theatre as the sound was so realistic and haunting.  The subtleties of the directions of sound were off putting and mesmerising, to the point of being hypnotised.

Set and Costume Design by Hyemi Shin were also brilliant.  The capsules and compartments were seamless.  The change towards the latter part of the play allowed us to see the mechanics of the set that again questioned our sense of reality.

Video Effects by Toby Angwin along with the Cinematography by Tov Belling and Katie Milwright added to the eeriness of the VHS tapes showing Dr Gibarian (Hugo Weaving) welcoming and explaining what happened to him.

The synchronisation of the equipment on stage was well executed.  During one scene, something happens and I felt for the actors.  I was sucked in so well as it was part of the story.  The cast, the design team and the production team have all worked in harmony to create a fabulous production.

Acting wise, I loved all of the performances.

Leanna Walsman as Dr Kris Kelvin built up her character over time, by revealing various levels of her personality.  The shock of her arrival on the space station, the different encounters with other characters and her journey had me engrossed.

I do not want to spoil moments, but Keegan Joyce as Ray was like something out of  "Avatar" the 2009 movie,  but without the special cinematic effects.  He did things with his body and voice that were realistic, yet unnerving.

Spoiler alert follows:

Fode Simbo at Dr Snow was terrific, and left me wanting to know more about him.  As did Jade Ogugua as Dr Sartorius was a mysterious character.  I did guess the link to the child, but even so, this did not spoil the journey.  In fact, I think that is part of the story - to make you feel the love, and the other emotions of the characters.  I did want to know a little more about Dr Snow's connection as it was glossed over in about two or three lines.

The Young Girl was played by Flora Feldman at this performance.  She was focused so well on her character and did not break concentration once by breaking the fourth wall. I felt engrossed by her performance.

The play left me with questions that were not depressing, but contemplative about the future of the planet and contact with other realms.  I had questions about two characters, though again, it made me consider different perspectives,

Matthew Lutton and all of the actors, creative and production are to be congratulated for delivering a fabulous journey that was unsettling and also at times uplifting for the human spirit.

My regular beef is please name the characters in the programme, plus include the year, 2019 on the cover.  I had to read another review to get the spelling of Dr Sartorius.  (Did these newspaper reviewers get Press Release kits including the spelling?)

The best part was the show was easier to understand than reviews in The Age, The Herald Sun and The Australian.

This 2019 season is proving to be a winner for Matthew Lutton and The Malthouse Theatre.

Congratulations to Matthew Lutton and the team for being such great ambassadors of the arts with this fine production.

"Solaris" obtained an 8.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment