Wednesday 18 September 2019

Nutcracker, The Australian Ballet, State Theatre, Wednesday September 18th 2019

Nutcracker, The Australian Ballet, State Theatre, Wednesday September 18th 2019

"The Nutcracker" was presented by The Australian Ballet, State Theatre, Arts Centre Melbourne on Wednesday September 18th 2019.

For those new to my blog I write about the holistic experience of attending the theatre. I buy my own tickets. So if you want a re-telling of the story please refer to the links for further information or for further insights.  Note, that I may provide different links for repeated main words or phrases.  I write for my memories of what I have seen, and is more of a stream of consciousness.

I have seen this version of "The Nutcracker" by Peter Wright about four times now.  This was the second night and was I assume the second cast.  I have seen better performances of this ballet as some of the scenery, lighting and illusions were not up to their usual standard.

Dancing wise, some notable performances included Ako Kondo as the Sugar Plum Fairy, and Dana Stephensen as The Rose Fairy.  Both delivered crisp footwork with precision.  Imogen Chapman was the best Arabian female I have seen and was shown off by her very capable and powerful men: Sean Kiley, Joseph Romancewicz and Daniel Idaszak.  These guys made her a princess with their effortless support.

Marcus Morelli supported Clara with aplomb and assurance.

Having seen the Spanish Dance at least four times now, I do not like the choreography as it looks like pseudo Spanish.  Dimity Azoury outshone the men in this trio with the stances, poses and port de bras.

Brett Chynoweth had clean lines, with neat and assured conclusions.  His promenades en tournant with Ako Kondo were assured and I want to see this level of assurance consistently in lifts by slightly shifting his centre to be rock solid in his support of  Ako Kondo.

From the Dress Circle it appeared as if some of the cast were having a nice chat.  They may not have had a vocal chat, but more of in-house jokes by miming.  My partner confirmed this from the front row in the Stalls.  Yes, you can be seen from the Dress Circle. I pay big money to see top class dancing.  Keep in character and keep the jokes off stage.

On a high, my favourite moment was Sharni Spencer as the Snow Fairy.  I adored her, and congratulations for creating a lovely character with beautifully dignified dancing.

Overall, this performance of "The Nutcracker" received a 7/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment