Thursday 26 October 2017

2017 Melbourne Festival Summary


Melbourne Festival summary 26th October 2017

The 2017 Melbourne Festival was the 31st festival that I have attended and I provide my summary:

Buying tickets:

We bought our tickets at the launch at the Melbourne Recital Centre. I always buy our tickets on the first day of tickets going on sale.  The young lady at the Melbourne Recital Centre was most helpful.

Brochure:

The Melbourne Festival brochure has the planner via each venue.  I have changed my opinion and am now convinced that I prefer this format compared to naming the shows down the left column.

Venue announcements:

I am not impressed with the inconsistent pre-show announcements at each venue.

I was very impressed with the usher who was proactive at "Backbone".

The pre-show announcement for “Ever” at The Temperance Hall in South Melbourne needed more vocal projection and authority to command attention.

In 31 years of attending the Melbourne Festival, and seeing many shows each year, there is only one show that we have attended that has started on time.  Interestingly it was driven by technology and time.  The only show to begin on time was "Since I Suppose."

The use of mobile phones was a problem at “Under Seige” and “The Wrap”.  Also the talking from the audience during “The Wrap” begs the question why people went to the show.

My Favourite show:

My favourite shows this year are hard to split as they all received a 9/10.  Though I think “Germinal” was the best for its emotional connection.  This show obtained a 9/10.

Even though “A Requiem for Cambodia: Bangsokol” obtained an 8.5/10 it was also the most emotionally engaging show with  “Germinal”.

Dance wise I think “In Plan” used technology in a more appropriate and balanced way than the over produced “Tree of Codes” where the technology took focus away from the dancing.

Congratulations to Jonathon Holloway and his team at the MelbourneFestival for the second best festival that I have attended.  The best was his 2016 festival.

Overall the 2017 MelbourneFestival gets a mean average of 8.029/10.  This is a great score that had a consistently high standard and we only saw two shows that brought this score down.



Show
Score
Backbone
9
The Inauguration
9
Voyage of Time
7.5
Under Siege
8
Black Rider
8.5
Dark Circus
9
All of My Friends Were There
8.5
Caravan
8
The Season
7.5
A Requiem for Cambodia: Bangsokol
8.5
More Up A Tree
5
In Plan
9
Ever
7
7 Pleasures
8
Tree of Codes
9
Germinal
9
Taylor Mac: The Wrap
6


 Total
136.5/17
Average
8.029



No comments:

Post a Comment