Wednesday 4 October 2017

Backbone, Gravity and Other Myths, Melbourne Festival, Playhouse Theatre, Arts Centre Melbourne, Wednesday October 4th 2017

"Backbone", Gravity and Other Myths for the Melbourne Festival at the Playhouse Theatre, Arts Centre Melbourne, Wednesday October 4th 2017


"Backbone" a physical theatre production by Gravity and Other Myths for the Melbourne Festival previewed at the Playhouse TheatreArts Centre Melbourne, on Wednesday October 4th 2017.

For those new to my blog I write about the holistic experience of attending the theatre. I buy my own tickets. So if you want a re-telling of the story please refer to the links for further information or for further insights.  Note, that I may provide different links for repeated main words or phrases.  I write for my memories of what I have seen, and is more of a stream of consciousness.

"Backbone" a physical theatre production by Gravity and Other Myths for the Melbourne Festival previewed at the Playhouse Theatre, Arts Centre Melbourne, on Wednesday October 4th 2017.

In all of the festivals, since the original in 1986, no show has ever started on time.  The show began about eight minutes late.  Given the Melbourne Festival is our major event on our theatre calendar eight minutes was a respectable time to wait for such a great show.  We were aware some audience members may have been running from the opening ceremony "Tanderrum" at Federation Square.

I did not realise that this performance was a preview until my partner repeated the pre-show announcement.  I validated this in our booklet when we returned home.  I do not like previews normally and this show was very slick.

I was impressed with an Arts Centre Melbourne usher who approached a lady to suggest that she places her backpack in the cloakroom.  Well done to this proactive usher (a young lady) who saved the patron the angst of being turned around upon entry to the theatre.

The theatre is our temple to escape, so readers will know that I do not oblige mobile phone, photos or social media to disturb a performance.  We pay big money to see shows.  In fact we are seeing 18 shows this 2017 Melbourne Festival.

The programme is available online and should have been available before entry to theatre as it is too dark to read inside the Playhouse Theatre.  I went up to an usher and requested one prior to entry.  I have written about this in my reviews and evaluation of the festival and it should be addressed.  The theatre is a holistic experience.  Repeating John Truscott would turn in his grave that the holistic experience of attending the Arts Centre Melbourne is not being adhered to!  Well John I am speaking up on your behalf!

Sadly the programme does not show these fine performers.  Do take the time to seek out these superb performers' biographies via their website under "About/The Company".

A mobile phone was being used three times and I had to say something as it was disturbing my vision and the light was dangerous for the performers.  The gentleman kindly obliged and looked a little edgy in doing so.  The lady with him consoled him.  I am so glad as they needed to trust that all would be okay.  To be continued....

The black safety curtain rose to reveal twelve bodies lying in various vertical and horizontal formations.  A row of long poles lay down as if bamboo rods to be either a musical glockenspiel or for physical antics.  Rocks lay around the space with a clothes rack full of potential costumes on the upper stage left.. A raised dais with what looked like a few instruments was centrally located on stage right.  A bank of lights was in front of this raised dais.  A bank of  mirrors hung from one of the lighting beams above.

Stillness!  The cast displayed confident and assured stillness.  They continued for at least about a minute.  They were breathing as one.  They were preparing the audience for the feast that was to come.  Good things are worth waiting for!  Then, the ensemble rose and prepared themselves in various ways: stripping, re-clothing, stretches, preparing, testing equipment and showing rehearsal type antics.  This reminded me of a show that we saw at the Joyce Theater in New York in 2014 by "Pilobolus" with a mixed programme of their old and new works.

I have seen a lot of circus and physical theatre in my lifetime.  This show had some of the most creative ensemble work that I have ever seen.  The choreography was inventive, clever, funny at times and also hair raising.  I have not heard an audience applaud so much during a show for a long time.  This group had us holding our breath in anticipation and expectation.

The knight outfit was used on a few occasions and forward rolls over a rope has been given a new meaning.  The consequences of counting and "involuntarily volunteering" has a  stomach churning "ouch" effect that will never be the same.  I bet you will hold your stomach at some point.

Buckets of fine rocks or sand are spread to cover the stage, which acts on many levels to create friction, and is used to create patterns and segues between sections.  I adored the labyrinth drawn by clearing the sand with the buckets.

A young lady presented a large stone to a couple in the audience.  The lights shone on them at times - as if they were a part of the cairn of stones.  Later she retrieved the stone and performed the most amazing routine that warrants more detail.  In doing so, I would spoil the journey.

The ensemble teased us with their antics but rarely broke the fourth wall.  Their concentration levels were telepathic.  More so, they used buckets to cover their heads and perform more skillful antics. The bucket covered performers traversed the labyrinth drawn in the sand.

The theme of 'strength" is central to the show.  There are so many aspects of strength - mental, physical, team, social, resilience and the list goes on.  The opening image of the bodies on the ground showed the interconnection between individuals.  Synergy is paramount.  These superb artists are like Olympian athletes with their skill, grace and artistry.

Occasionally sand or rocks are poured over an individual.  I bet I would be physically squirming or vocally reacting to such action.  This is a modern version of the "ice bucket challenge".  There is another sequence where a man is harassed by all of the remaining cast who try to divert his attention.  His concentration level and determination is uplifting and awe inspiring.  I cannot rave enough about this fine cast.

There may have been three small slips but this heightened our appreciation and kept their human skills' real for us.  I was so pleased that they did not do the "three tries for any trick" to get it right the third attempt.  They seamlessly picked up and supported each other if any lapse occured.  In doing so, they held my attention more.  The care and looking out for each is what the world needs.

There are so many skills employed that I am trying to recall each to give them credence.  The balancing poles sequence went on for eternity and heightened our appreciation.  There is balancing handstands, hand-to-hand displays, tumbling, acrobatics and an aerial-human-trapeze using bodies as the supports for the trapeze artist.  A lady is suspended by several poles, she is teased with the changing of the poles' positions until she is suspended by one pole.   One pole! OUCH! Sheer magic.

There were fantastic and interesting segues between various acts of acrobatics, tumbling, balancing on heads, scaling heights, and break dancing moves that make Michael Jackson look like an amateur.  The list goes on.  Each section challenged us with variations on the theme of strength.  Even to the bitter (oh so sweet) ending did they challenge each other with their determined stance.  What a curtain call - the audience kept clapping and cheering.  We rose out of our seats to give this performance a thunderous ovation.

The costumes were functional and thankfully not like the over-produced costumes of some circus troupes.  I do not like "Sluice fashion". (It is a definition that my circus friends in Las Vegas understand what the acronym means!)   Put it this way,  I cannot stand the cut off jean look with threads hanging down, plus any loose thread could cause havoc.  I want these performers to be safe.

The music rose and fell to accentuate and support the performers.  The two musicians provided various rhythms that created various atmospheres and emotions to draw our focus to the performers, and, to keep us on the edge our seats when required.

No one performer is a star.  They are all genuine stars.  They are a universe of stars creating a galaxy of joy.  I do hope that they make a DVD of this show to support their work - similar to how Pilobolus made a DVD of "Shadowland".

The company, Gravity and Other Myths is the closest I have seen to the work of "Pilobolus" - let alone an Australian company.  It is not gimmicky but has a genuine heart and soul and it shows in the trust of the performers who worked as one.

Remember the gentleman who I asked to turn off his mobile phone?  He turned to me after the house lights came on and apologised to me.  I appreciated this as the light was so distracting.  He was extremely gracious and was excited to know what I thought of the show.   His apology was another example of the "strength" theme.  He showed the ability of internal strength and taking personal responsibility for his actions, and to allow this group to perform on their own merits.  He trusted them and it showed - as they delivered.

This is one of the strongest opening shows that I have ever seen at the Melbourne Festival  in 31 years.  I confirmed in the festival brochure that this performance was a preview.  I did not care - it was so good.  No - BRILLIANT.  Thank you and congratulations.

"Backbone" obtained a 9/10 while my partner who detests circus shows gave it a very high 7.5/10.



No comments:

Post a Comment